Coming Fall 2012 the Recognized Student Organization Application will be processed through Org-Sync (formerly the co-curricular transcript!)
Haven't found a student organization that meets your needs? Start your own!Procedure for Becoming a Recognized Student Organization at ODU
- Fill out an Application for Recognition (PDF) form. The form can be printed from this website or picked up in the Office of Student Activities and Leadership (1071 Webb Center).
- The Office of Student Activities and Leadership will review the member list and other elements of the application. Once OSAL approves the application, the organization will be granted a 3-month provisional status. During this time, your organization will need to submit a constitution and have 10 currently enrolled students sign the application. Once the application is complete, it will be submitted to the Student Government Association for their actions. (Click here to view a sample Constitution.)
- The Student Government Association Organizational Affairs Committee will evaluate the application and constitution to make sure everything is in order.
- The Organizational Affairs Committee will meet with individuals from the organization to discuss future plans and goals of the group, as well as explain the Point System and Minimum Standards. The organization will be able to ask any questions and have concerns dealt with.
- Once the Organizational Affairs Committee approves the application and constitution, it will write up a bill to recommend the Student Government Association grant formal recognition to the organization. The Student Government Association Cabinet initially analyzes the bill and upon their approval, the bill will be sent to the Student Government Association General Assembly to be discussed and voted on.
- Once the bill has been approved, the organizations will be formally recognized as an Old Dominion University organization and will be accountable to regulations set by the University and Student Government Association. The organization will be notified via email or phone about the outcome of the vote, by the Monday following the General Assembly vote.
- Organizations qualify for funding from the Student Government Association after the organization is fully recognized by the Student Government Association.
Note: The time it takes for the entire process to occur will depend on how many organizations the Organizational Affairs Committee must review, as well as the amount of time it takes the Committee to meet with the organization. During any step in this process, individuals from the organization can contact the Committee to check on the status of their application. Please direct any questions or concerns to the Organizational Affairs Committee at 683-3438.