Service & Civic Engagement
This program is designed to provide student organizations or groups of students at ODU an opportunity to play an active and ongoing role in helping to keep ODU looking beautiful!
The Center for Service & Civic Engagement and the Office of Facilities Management have partnered to give student organizations or a group of students the opportunity to give back to the University by adopting a spot of the campus grounds to clean-up once a month. Participating organizations/groups will be asked to commit to maintaining their spot for one academic year. In exchange for their hard work, a sign will be proudly displayed in each "spot" that showcases the sponsoring organization/group's name. Click here to see a sample sign.
Basic Program Details:
- Adoptions are for one academic year. Re-registration for spots must be completed every year in the spring for the following year. Organizations who miss the re-registration deadline will forfeit their spot.
- Groups are responsible for cleaning their spots once a month at their convenience.
- After a clean-up, a Clean-up Report must be submitted to the CSCE. Clean-up reports are due by the last day of September, October, November, January, February, March, and April. Clean-up reports are due by the last day of exams in December and May. If a group fails to submit their clean-up reports by the due date they will forfeit their spot.
- Cleanup supplies (gloves and trash bags only) are available during regular office hours from the Center for Service & Civic Engagement. Groups can stop by at their convenience to pick up supplies.
- The Primary Contact Person listed on the Spot Request Form is responsible for making sure that all group members are aware of and follow the basic safety guidelines for Adopt A Spot published below.
- Signs are ordered and maintained by the Center for Service & Civic Engagement. Groups should allow at least one month from the awarding of their spot for the ordering, production and placement of their sign. If there is a problem with a sign, please contact the Center.
In order to participate, an organization or group of students should:
Adopt A Spot Basic Safety Guidelines
Adopt A Spot Clean-up Report